I CAN’T AFFORD SHAKEOLOGY!
This is great – Thank you Dave Ward!
I can’t afford Shakeology! As you can probably imagine, we hear (or read) this quite a bit. So much so that I’m dedicating an entire blog to tell you guys this—
1) you either pay now or you pay later and
2) you absolutely CAN afford Shakeology IF you make it a priority.
First, I want to talk a little bit about what’s at the root of this belief—the expectation that food be super cheap.
THE PRICE OF BUYING CHEAP FOOD
I don’t know how it is in Canada where a bunch of our customers live, but here in the U.S., both capitalism and our government have totally messed up our expectations surrounding the cost and general outlook on food.
Did you know that unhealthy food is actually cheaper in the U.S. than many healthy foods? Yep, it’s true. We have government subsidies that pay for its production to thank. That’s why there is so much high-fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated soybean oil in almost all processed and fast foods in this country. You don’t see these ingredients so much in other countries.
I was recently grocery shopping and heard this conversation between a couple as I was picking my (organic) fruits and veggies for the week…
“Strawberries?,” asked the guy holding out a beautiful red carton to his wife or girlfriend.
“Yeah, but not those. Those are the organic ones and they’re like $3.00 more. Just get the regular ones.”
It pained me to watch the guy put the organic strawberries back on the stack and grab the cheaper ones that are LOADED with chemicals that are so harmful to our long-term health.
I imagined them walking down the other aisles filling their cart with all of the “cheaper” and “more convenient” processed foods. What they—and many people—don’t realize is that they are filling their precious bodies with low quality foods that are made in factories, loaded with chemicals, lacking in nutrients, and packed with sugar, fat, and/or salt.
We DO pay a price later when we regularly eat unhealthy processed and non-organic foods—for doctor or hospital visits, diagnostic testing, medications, and other services that arise from both minor and chronic diseases caused by a poor diet.
Did you know that almost three-quarters of Americans are overweight and over one-third are clinically obese? And, get this—one-third of children born today will be diabetic in their lifetime AND, for the first time in the recorded history of humans, the life expectancy of our population is declining! (This makes me want to cry.)
There are non-monetary costs of eating poorly too—like fatigue, depression, obesity, and a bunch of other minor health complaints.
Thank goodness for people like Chef Jamie Oliver, and companies like Beachbody, who are fighting in the food revolution! And it's quit embarrising that a guy from another country has to come help us Americans!! They are making a dent and I am proud to be a part of the fight. And, I’m proud of YOU for joining me because you realize that your body deserves better!
I am ALL for bargain shopping, but NOT when it comes to what I put in my body—my most precious possession. You’ve heard the analogy of putting cheap gas in a Maserati—you flat out wouldn’t do it.
I want you to remember this:
- The REAL cost of eating unhealthy foods is in the damage to your health and resulting medical costs.
- Eating whole fresh foods does NOT have to cost more OR be complicated.
- With some adjustments in your lifestyle, you CAN afford Shakeology!
WHY INVEST IN HEALTHY FOOD?
The biggest reason to invest both effort and money in eating healthy food is so you can fully live each and every day of your precious life. Because I eat well—and work out—I can be super productive, keep up with my kids, and nail most every day.
Also, studies by the American Dietetic Association have found that eating well to lose weight is anywhere from no more expensive to cheaper than eating unhealthily over the long term. It is most definitely NOT more expensive.
Making the lifestyle change from eating cheap processed foods to healthy whole foods requires you to change some deeply engrained and habitual ways of thinking, learn new ways of eating, possibly find new places to buy your food, and spend a bit more time planning and prepping your meals. BUT, I ASSURE YOU THAT IT’S WORTH IT.
Some people try making their own smoothies from scratch or use a cheaper protein powder instead of Shakeology. While I understand, and totally respect their efforts to make better nutritional decisions, if it were up to me, everyone would give Shakeology a (risk free) try for 30 days. (Beachbody has a bottom of the bag guarantee—if you don’t like it, you can get your purchase price refunded with no questions asked.) Over the past decade, I’ve seen what happens when people do this—they fall madly in love, because they feel amazing and get better weight loss results.
What do I tell people when they say, “I can’t afford Shakeology”? I tell them that they really CAN—even if they’re on a tight budget.
At about $155 US/$200 CAD for a month’s supply (full retail including tax and shipping), you’re probably wondering how this is possible for you. It just takes some tweaks in your thinking, priorities, and spending habits. Here are some ideas:
- Save $13 on shipping with the Home Direct program. Home Direct is Beachbody’s automatic shipment program for all their nutritional supplements. There are two perks to this program—your Shakeology order shows up before you run out so you consistently feed your body serious nutrients AND shipping is reduced from about $15.00 to $2.00.
- Order the bulk bag (NOT the packets) of Shakeology. When you buy the single bulk bag, you get 30 servings; when you buy the single serving packets, you only get 24 servings. That’s almost an extra week of Shakeology, folks.
- Save 10% AND use the money you save by subscribing to On Demand All Access. Beachbody just announced that they are adding the Annual All Access On Demand and Shakeology Challenge Pack to their permanent Challenge Pack portfolio and keeping it at the same introductory price of $199 USD/$231 CAD. Here’s what this means—you pay $199 and you get your first month of Shakeology at 10% off (savings of about $13) AND a ONE year subscription to On Demand which has a ton of workouts you can live stream. After that, your discounted Shakeology is delivered to you through the Home Direct program (with discounted $2 shipping). So you’re getting all those workouts for an entire year for about $80…close to the same price you used to pay for ONE program. The money you used to spend on fitness programs can now be used for your Shakeology!
- Get a discount by becoming a discount Coach. We have many customers who jbecome coaches to solely get a 25% discount on their Shakeology (AND all of Beachbody’s other fitness and nutrition products). The full retail price (including shipping and handling) of about $155 drops to $107 when you’re a coach. While there is a $40 one-time start up fee, and a monthly business fee of $15, you still save significantly on your Shakeology.
- Get your Shakeology for FREE by selling it to others. As a Coach, you have the potential to get your Shakeology for FREE. We have many coaches whose monthly goal is solely to make enough money to have their Shakeology paid for by the commissions they make from selling it to others.
- Use the money you used to spend on multivitamins and other supplements. Think about how much you are spending on vitamins and other supplements (like digestive aids, weight loss supplements, energy drinks or supplements, etc.). Shakeology contains over 70 superfood ingredients, including natural appetite suppressants and energy boosters, so you no longer need all the other stuff.
- Use the money you used to spend on snacks and meals you’re replacing with Shakeology. Shakology is so much more than just a protein supplement—it’s a meal replacement—so don’t forget to factor in the food you’re not eating into your budget figures. I can tell you that I was spending much more than $5 per day on the breakfast, lunch and/or snacks that I ate in place of Shakeology.
- Adjust your grocery purchases. Include Shakeology in your food budget and find ways to save on your other groceries. For instance, buy single ingredient foods that are in season (buy extra and freeze for use in the off season!) and take advantage of those weekly sales.
- Use the money from the coffee drinks and/or juice smoothies you’re no longer buying. Coffee houses and juice bars are NOT cheap. When I started drinking Shakeology, I stopped craving the coffee drinks because it gave me all the energy I needed AND satisfied my sweet tooth. And, I no longer needed to stop off at the juice bar when I was out and about. (Besides saving money, I also saved time and calories.)
- Make adjustments in other areas of your household budget. There are so many other places you can save money in your life—like spending less on cocktails, dining out, bottled water, gum and candy, cable TV, clothes, and those little frills that add up (like makeup, hair and nails). If you’re serious about your health, you WILL make the effort to make sacrifices in other areas.
- Consider working a bit extra to help out. If your schedule allows, think about doing odd jobs or picking up a small part-time gig that will allow you to give your body the incredibly healthy boost offered by Shakeology.
(The above discounts are in US dollars; Canadian figures are slightly higher.)
WHY SHAKEOLOGY IS A GREAT DEAL
There are MANY indirect ways that you are getting value from drinking Shakeology. Here are the ones we’re most jazzed about:
- When you feel better, you perform better in ALL areas of your life.
- We have fewer sick days.
- Our energy levels are HIGH.
- We’re more motivated because Shakeology helps us reach our weight loss goals (it’s our secret weapon!).
- Our junk food cravings are almost non-existent.
- We don’t feel like we’re suffering because it feels like we’re having a treat.
- It’s SUPER convenient and easy to grab on the go.
- We will NOT be paying now, because we’re investing in ourselves now. Won’t you do the same?
Oh, and with the On Demand All Access membership, there is absolutely zero need for a gym membership (or the gas it takes to get you there and back), so there’s some more savings for you.
GET A FREE SHAKEOLOGY SAMPLE
If you’re ready to give Shakeology a try for a month, visit our Shakeology page to order your bulk bag! At the very least, we’d like you to try a single Shakeology sample, let me know.I will send one right out!